We shape our innovation pipeline to reduce the unnecessary use of packaging material - continuing our commitment to being a leader in sustainability. G.MONDINI is committed to designing and manufacturing a future of safe, sustainable and affordable food technologies available to anyone, anywhere.
We are committed to providing dynamic tray sealing systems and solutions based on innovation, quality, experience and performance that deliver secure packs to all our customers and their customers.
CONSUMERS LOOKING FOR A CHANGE
Packaging is a critical enabler for consumers’ everyday life because it facilitates consumers’ need for convenience, ensuring food safety and hygiene. Sustainability is not just a box to tick. It’s no longer enough to have a sustainability statement on your website. Consumers want to know precisely what you are doing to protect our planet and are very concerned about the circular economy and the recyclability of materials. The plastic versus fibre debate is driven by consumers who make that decision for brand owners.
G.MONDINI SUSTAINABILITY DRIVERS
Once the key parameters of the project are established we create a first draft proposal of the solution to discuss with the customer. At this stage we fine tune the details covering critical areas of operation from tray handling and loading, product flow, interaction with other equipment in the line with flexibility to handle different packaging technologies or materials.
- Recycle Plastic
through monomaterial solutions, with PCR content, recycle-ready, enabling closed loop production to enhance circularity.
- Reduce Plastic
thanks to: Machinery design to avoid the need for oversized packaging; Zero® technology which eliminates plastic scrap at the end of the line.
- Use renewable source material
to replace plastic with paper based, biobased and compostable solutions.
- Decrease carbon footprint impact
of packaging through diversified solutions allowing resource optimisation.
DARFRESH ON TRAY
Darfresh® on Tray is the World-Class System & Industry Standard for vacuum skin packaging products.
Key advantages that optimises Darfresh® on Tray performance vs. industry standard:
- 100% top film utilisation and zero top film waste.
- 40% less top web film vs. traditional skin pack machines.
- Removing top film skeleton wastage.
- Increased output, 35% faster packaging process while keeping consistency in shape & appeal of the packs
- Faster and more efficient vacuum step for optimal productivity
A brand new creative tooling concept which facilitates a quick changeover for a full range of packaging formats to meet multiple environmental strategies.
Ingenious tool design working with several tray formats to support the recycling landscapes and sustainability requirements of your country and local retailers. A solution with high flexibility to adapt quickly to the changes in packaging and consumer trends.
High productivity & performance through quick change between packaging systems and materials, maximising machine availability and increasing OEE.
This technology can be applied to SKIN packaging.
Downgauge Technology allows you to create packaging with perfect sealing and all the characteristics and high performance of traditional packs, reducing the use of raw material while avoiding deformations and defects.
- 50% reduction in tray thickness & tray weight
- Save resources and reduce raw material consumption
- Reduce transport and emissions
- Decrease production costs
Through value engineering and clever pack design we have constructed a cardboard tray system that is straightforward to integrate into current packaging lines, delivering:
- SAFETY: Unique process to generate perfect sealing surface
Guaranteed state of the art seal integrity equal to traditional plastic packaging
- FLEXIBILITY: Availability of different liners and paperboards offering technical solutions to suit any product. Presented for Top Seal, Modified Atmosphere and Vacuum Skin formats. Recommended for cheese, fresh meats, processed meats, ready-made products, frozen foods, snacks, salads and fruit
- FULL BRANDING: 360° Communication on all surfaces of the package. High quality graphics for premium branding design. Flexibility on communications format – Printing and/or labelling.
- LESS PLASTIC: Reduces plastic content by up to 80-90%. Liner forming station with ZERO® technology eliminates all process waste. Easy separation of liner and paperboard for simple and efficient recycling at end of life.
- MINIMUM SIZE, MAXIMUM SKILLS: Trays delivered as flat boards significantly reduce distribution and storage costs vs. pre-made trays, liner forming with ZERO® waste technology optimises cost of final package. Reduced inventory with availability of smaller purchase quantities.
First of its kind launched by G. Mondini, it REDUCES plastic content by up to 80-90% in the vacuum skin market. Combining a fully printed flat cardboard support with a thin high barrier liner and Darfresh® on Tray technology, opening new opportunities in pack styling, merchandising and communication.
Whilst maintaining all the benefits of the vacuum skin process it delivers:
- Flat cardboard support designed to be RECYCLABLE giving consumer possibility to easily separate the liner from the cardboard and place into suitable waste recovery stream.
- Combined with Darfresh® on Tray to extend shelf life reducing food wastage.
- Fully printable cardboard support extends communication and merchandising.
- Flexibility to run on Trave® Tray Sealers through simple tool changes.
Building on the success of SLIMFRESH® this new system was developed and launched to bring the benefits of using flat cardboard supports to sensitive sliced products packaged in MAP such as meat and cheese.
- Increased consumer convenience in re-closable version to help in reduction of consumer food waste.
- Digital printing all over the pack with easy design change to increase consumer communication.
- Thinner pack with increased rigidity that expands opportunities for retail merchandising.
- Flexibility to run on Trave® Tray Sealers through simple tool changes.
Developed in response to customer demands to improve sustainability of the tray sealer technology without reducing the benefits. This we achieved through smart innovative engineering which allows us to produce trays from roll-stock film reels at the customer’s factory. The system cuts precisely the amount of plastic needed for each product and promptly thermoforms the tray.
They are filled with product and tray sealed immediately improving system efficiency and security. Significant material savings are achieved with wastage below 2% while REDUCING the carbon footprint of the tray manufacturing and logistics process.
The PLATFORMER® has the flexibility to fabricate trays in
- OFF LINE tray making and stacking for feeding directly onto existing customer packaging line.
- THERMOSEALER VERSION in-line fabricating trays directly linked with the speed of the Trave® Tray Sealer.
The PLATFORMER® produces quality trays which deliver substantial performance improvements vs. HFFS thermoforming.
Top film skeleton waste was identified as a key issue by users of tray sealing technology where significant savings could be made.
We responded by developing Zero® technology that delivers these savings of film and improving the functionality of the process.
The new process involved redesigning the film transport system and a new in-mould cutting system that will save up to 25% of top film usage.